Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Best Judo Throws for Submission Grappling

Reader Formosa Neijia asked for an advice which throws may be the most
useful in BJJ or submission grappling competition.

If I have to select one that works in both gi and no-gi competition it would be deep over-grip/around the neck Harai Goshi or Harai Goshi Makikomi variation.





Here is a no-gi variation demonstrated by UFC fighter Shonie Carter:



In addition I recommend a combinations of Harai Goshi into Osoto Gari or vice versa.

O Soto Gari in Judo competition:



and for no-gi MMA/submission grappling
(courtesy of great UFC player and judoka Karo Parisian):




Both of these throws are very powerful therefore putting the tori
(performer of the throw) into a very favorable position on the ground.

2 comments:

Dave Chesser said...

Excellent. Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I'm seriously considering entering some BJJ sport tourneys in the future as well as submission grappling. So your thoughts are much appreciated.

I can see why you'd pick harai goshi, especially the version with the arm around the neck. The position leads to kasa-gatame pretty quick.

Another quick question for you if you don't mind on this topic. Judo uses turtle a lot and I'm seeing lots of arguments from BJJ guys against it. And I was thinking of not doing it in ne-waza because of those arguments. They say they can pick it apart.

Then I found a BJJ guy named Eduardo Telles that is doing stuff with turtle that I've never seen in judo class. He has sweeps, submissions, everything from turtle.

In your opinion, should us judoka that want to compete in other venues keep our judo turtle and maybe work some of these techniques that Telles teaches? Or should we give up turtle for trying to get open guard all the time?

Edmon said...

Formosa Neijia:

I do not prefer turtle either, but it can be used as a formidable trap if you are competent on the ground.

I usually try to lure the oponent in to sink in arms and legs and then trap these (arm with my arms, leg with my legs) and turn the oponent over by using my head and body, but without giving my back.

That is what is the most important to keep in mind - not to let oponent take your back .

In Judo tournament other player has only so much time to do something on you. In BJJ tournaments your oponent can work on the turtle far longer.

Finally, should you compete in BJJ tournaments? Sure. You can only benefit from it. Do not push yourself however too far with it if you have a good group of people to train in ne waza with.