Sunday, May 17, 2009

Learning Updates

I am working on a competitive Ko Uchi Gari and left side Tai Otoshi.

My role model is excellent Won Hee Lee although he is much smaller
than I am (73 kg vs mine 100 kg).

Here is the video of Lee's throws that I watch hundreds of times a day,
frame by frame and that I use as an instructional and an inspiration:





This past Saturday in training I was able to pull few very
good left Tai Otoshi.

Here are some key (advanced) points I picked up from the training
and that, once applied, resulted in a good Tai Otoshi:

For Tai Otoshi:

- Keep the toes pointed forward from the moment
you move the extending leg into a motion for a throw

- Practice "step-snap pull" - the moment foot reaches
the ground snap-pull for a throw.
Timing of this highly coordinated kuzushi
and poisitioning is critical.

- Extend the leg low and far to barely clip the ankle but
keep on the toes facing forward
and twist the whole upper body as you throw



I am also working on a left and right Ko Uchi Gari.


Some key points for

Ko Uchi Gari:

- Make the person move towards his/her outer toes
before attempting the Ko Uchi Gari.
Moving Uke will make this throw drastically easier.

- As soon you clip the leg (out and on the side)
drive the person down hard

- Transition immediately into a holdown or a submission
to capture the initiative from the surprise,
and to ensure good grappling position





Quick update on fitness:

I am 232 lbs but I have replaced about 1% of body fat with
muscles. I train with weights (circuit) three times a week.
I am also regularly (three times a week) doing
cardio-vascular interval training.

I do 25 uchi komi in series.
My goal is 50 full speed uchi komi on my favorite throws.

No comments: